If you want to fence your property, you may be shocked by the inflated prices of lumbar. Even a picket fence has become very expensive and unaffordable for most. That’s why it’s best to build a metal fence. If you want to get a new fence or fix your old fence, search for a “fencing company near me” to hire reputed professionals near you. Among metal fences, aluminum is a hassle-free and easy-to-maintain fence. Let’s check out its advantages before you learn how to fix your aluminum fence:
- Low maintenance – As mentioned above, aluminum fences are very easy to maintain and are perfect for homeowners who want to build a simple fence and don’t want to worry about it for most of the year. Unlike wood, an aluminum fence doesn’t need to be refinished and it rarely requires paint.
They are also better than iron in many ways since they don’t rust and corrode from rain and other elements of nature. Cleaning your fence once a month is usually enough to maintain it in good condition. You may need to go for a deep clean after the winter months and stormy summer seasons.
- Low cost – Aluminum isn’t just easy to maintain, it’s also very inexpensive when compared to other materials like steel or wrought iron fences. Moreover, with sudden spikes in timber prices, it also becomes affordable compared to wood fences during certain times of the year.
Even if aluminum has a higher upfront cost compared to wood, the overall cost of ownership is tremendously low. That’s because you don’t need to spend a lot of time, energy, and money each year on maintenance and repair. In the long run, aluminum often turns out to be the cheapest option on the market.
- Low environmental impact – Unlike other materials, most aluminum fences are made from recycled aluminum that reduces carbon emissions during mining and also reduces waste. Moreover, when you decide to replace your fence after a couple of decades, all that metal is recycled again.
Aluminum waste contributes a negligible amount of waste to landfills since the industry has a profit-driven interest in keeping it out of landfills. With that out of the way, let’s check out how you can maintain your aluminum fence in good condition.
- Check the gate – Since aluminum is lightweight, severe weather and heavy impact can mess with the alignment of certain parts of the fence and weaken them over time. The gate is one such part. Make sure that you discourage children from swinging the gate for fun and avoid stacking or mounting objects on the gate.
You also need to oil the gate hinges and tighten their screws once every year. If you have a self-closing gate you need to make sure that the hinge maintains its tension. To adjust the tension of the spring you can remove the cap with a Phillips screwdriver and insert a flat-head screwdriver into the slot.
After that, you need to press down on the internal adjuster hinge and turn it clockwise or anti-clockwise to increase or loosen the tension. Once you’ve figured out the right amount of tension for the gate, you can release the adjuster and put the cover back on.
- Clean the fence – Once a year hosing down the aluminum fence should get the job done. However, every few years or after a severe storm you may need to deep clean your fence to get rid of debris, dirt, and stains. You don’t need any fancy equipment or cleaning supplies for the job. A regular damp cloth, a brush, and a soap and vinegar solution are good enough.
Mix warm water, dish soap, and vinegar in a bucket and use a damp cloth to soak it in and rub it on the aluminum fence. For tricky spots, nooks, and crannies that are hard to reach you can grab a long-bristled brush and dab it in the solution before brushing the fence clean. After you’re done cleaning the fence you can hose it down and wipe dry with a clean towel.
- Wax the fence – If your fence doesn’t cover a large area, you can go the extra step and protect it with wax. If you have a large property this is going to eat into your time and energy. Get automotive wax that you use on your car and rub it on the aluminum fence. Most of the exterior surface of the car is made from aluminum and that’s why automotive wax is one of the best materials to protect your fence from oxidation.
- Regular inspection – Whenever you get time, check your aluminum fence for potential damage. It may be a dent, scratches, or dirty hinges and fasteners. If the problem can be fixed with a quick clean don’t delay it. Don’t delay hardware replacements either. Loose or broken hardware can cost you dearly if you delay the fix.
- Shifted or bent fence post – If you find a shifted fence post you can repair it on your own. If the fence is embedded in concrete, you need to use a sledgehammer to break the old footing and dig it out. After that, you need to fix the post in its position by pouring concrete again.
On the other hand, bent fence posts are very tricky. Unlike steel or iron, aluminum isn’t very malleable. The aluminum alloy used in aluminum fences isn’t the same material that’s used for cars. That’s why you can’t hammer them back into shape. When you hammer your aluminum fence post it’s more likely to crack and break apart. That’s why you have no option but to replace the fence post.
Now that you know about the different advantages of aluminum fences and how to maintain them, you can get one for yourself or maintain your existing aluminum fence in pristine condition. If the fence gets damaged, you can search for a “fencing company near me” and hire professionals to fix it for you.